A pony who was seriously burned in an acid incident has been crowned rescue animal of the year.
Cinders was only 8 months old when she was found wandering around Chesterfield in pain. She had so many burns on her face that she couldn’t even open her eyes.
She was taken to the Rainbow Equine Hospital in Malton, North Yorkshire, and had surgery in Wakefield that was an experiment that used fish skin.
“She definitely deserves this honor,” her new owner added. She is a true hero and a lovely member of our family. ”
Cinders was named the 2020 Daily Mirror Animal Hero Awards rescue animal of the year.
“I don’t know how somebody could have done something so c.r.u.el to such a loving and lovely little animal,” her owner, who wishes to remain unidentified, said.
Cinders’ narrative went viral, and contributions from well-wishers to help her recuperate poured in.
Jamie Peyton, who came up with a way to treat wildfire burns on animals with fish skin grafts, came down from California in May 2018 to do the procedure.
Cinders’ wounds were treated by a team of vets and a plastic surgeon from the burns section at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.
They cleansed them before placing a bandage made from tilapia fish skin on Cinders’ face to promote the development of new tissue.
This, as well as her continuous care, was made possible by contributions totaling more than £17,000.